Thursday, September 3, 2015

Wishes Do Come True....

It's been FOREVER since I've updated all of you! Greysen is doing exceptionally well since his surgery in July! We had a few minor problems in the beginning but now it seems like he is a completely normal kid and I often forget he has a port hanging out of his belly! I can honestly say that the cecostomy was the best decision for our family. It has freed up so much of our time in the evenings and now Greysen is using the bathroom ALL BY HIMSELF! Completely independent of Kyle and I! Truly, this is such a relief for us and has lightened the burden immensely! Now on to an even better announcement (In our house what could be a better announcement than Greysen pooping by himself??!!)....

Last December, I submitted an application for Greysen to receive a wish through the Montana Hope Project. Honestly, at first, I almost didn't do it. I had to convince myself that Greysen was sick enough to deserve this (I mean there are kids dying of cancer and kids that are terminally ill with other diseases). After speaking with the Coordinator he said to me, "It's about the kids. It's about recognizing what they go through." The thing I LOVE about the HOPE Project is that they grant wishes to kids that go through chronic, terminal, or even short-term illnesses! Its about giving the families a chance to be together and forget about the daily struggles of living with a chronic disease. Let's be real: Greysen and our family have been dealing with this disease called Hirschsprung's for EIGHT years TWO months and THREE days. We've turned our trips to Denver into what we call "Hospications" (Hospital+Vacation: yes I made this word up haha), we've left our other children for weeks at a time, we've ignored our other children to handle Greysen's countless hours of  medical needs in the bathroom, we have gladly sacrificed so much to care for Greysen but it takes a toll on a family. Aside from the toll its taken on us, Greysen has endured a lot of trauma. We always try to keep a good attitude and look for the positive in this. The other day he said to me, "I think I know why God gave me Hirschsprungs?! To help others!!!!" Despite his good attitude, what you don't see are the days when he is struggling: "Mom, sometimes I feel like you are ruining my life when I have to do all of this stuff" "Mom why did God give me Hirschsprungs?" "Mom, sometimes I don't feel like a normal kid" "Mom, I hate my life". These phrases are almost too much to type out but its the REAL side of what he is going though. He has developed anxiety from all he has suffered and it breaks my heart! (FYI: He is seeing a counselor to deal with all of this)
This is why the HOPE PROJECT exists!!!!! 
The Hope Project tells sick kids, "We see what you are going through!" It tells the siblings, "We know you get the short end of the stick!" It says to the parents, "We know you are tired and we know you spent your vacation money on hotels and hospital stays! (Praise God for our church friends and family that helped us this year in that area!!!) So with all of that said Greysen will be getting his wish Granted, and in a few short weeks, we are heading to DISNEY WORLD!!!!! We will stay at a special place called "Give kids the World Villiage" (Google it! It's amazing!) and we will visit some other theme parks as well! To top it all off we just found out they are allowing Grandma Becky to tag along per Greysen's request. With our Ben having Asperger's I'm not sure how we would manage without her!!!!! Poor Grandma Becky will be exhausted when she gets back! I know that we don't deserve this! It's a gift that we could never repay and the gratitude I feel overwhelms me! I always tell people going thru a medical crisis, "Don't compare your sick child to other sick children. There is always someone sicker than your child and someone healthier than your child, neither of these discredit what YOUR child is going through!" We are forever grateful to the Hope Project for recognizing Greysen and our families' struggle with Hirschsprung's Disease!!!!



Next time I post I will be posting all about our trip so be ready for lots and lots of pictures!!!! Oh and did I mention we get to the front of EVERY line???! Eeeeek!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your experience and questions about hirschsprungs!